Saturday, October 29, 2011

Religion and Cos

I am not a religious person.

Before we start, if you are, and easily offended, it is probably best that you click "next blog" and read about a Mormon mother of two from America..

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of religion - the history, culture and traditions. Experiencing it first hand, whether it be a Mosque in Egypt, a Temple in Cambodia or the Vatican in Rome are all amazing.
But I simply don't have the faith to believe in a God, several deities or that there is anything at all after my last breath. Apparently "God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith", so maybe I missed out due to my feminism?


I was baptised Catholic and some of my extended family are Catholic, Buddist or Christian, but my upbringing wasn't religious by any means. My mother gave me a bible when I was in primary school and I did read it, but I also read the chronicals of Narnia. We went bush walking instead of Church on Sundays and instead of religious writings on the back of the bathroom door, we had a list of endangered frogs.
Charles Darwin was mentioned in our home more often than Jesus and the two don't get along very well.

I like the idea that we all have a fate that is determined by a higher power, but it sounds like a copout to me. I believe in education, the laws of physics and making your own fate. I am in control of my own destiny as much as anyone else is. Hard work and planning will get you where you want to be, not praying.

So what if I'm wrong? In scripture I was told that I would burn in hell for the rest of eternity if I didn't accept Jesus into my heart... But I'd have to believe in Hell for that to be a real threat.

Ultimately we are all free to believe what we choose to believe. The real problem comes when people try to force their beliefs on others. My favourite opinion of tolerance to other religious views comes from the Dalai Lama. "It's like going to a restaurant - we can all sit down at one table and order different dishes, but nobody argues about it." Wouldn't that be nice?

Here in Delhi the Bahá'í House of Worship or Lotus temple (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lotus_Temple) provides a place for people of all religions to pray, meditate or just contemplate the meaning of life. Muslins next to Buddhists next to Christians next to Hindus, all next to Cos. No one religion is allowed to dominate with sermons and all that is allowed is chanting or singing. And to top it off, it kinda looks like the opera house. Sounds good to me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment