Saturday, October 8, 2011

Technolology

I am an Engineer, but I wouldn't call myself a technology expert. In fact I don't really like technology.
I have a very good skill of causing everyday electrical things to stop working, much to the amusement of Adam.
I find it impossible to use any sort of touch pad/screen. I cannot seem to get automatic door sensors to operate for me. Buying a train ticket from a machine is painful. My wi-fi will often drop out specifically to my computer, which will then get the blue screen of death.

This is obviously not fantastic with my choice of career, but thankfully this is usually limited to items outside of work. At work I am often called on to fix IT issues and teach others how to use certain programs. Again, Adam finds this very amusing.

As I seem to be behind in the technology game, I find it fascinating when I see other people struggle with basic technology. It reminds me that these everyday items that we take for granted haven't been around too long and many people today did not grow up with these technologies.

A man was struggling to use a vending machine.
A lady at Tesco struggled to scan bar codes at the self-serve checkouts.
A man at work, who uses computers everyday, didn't know what an address (for documents/webpages) was.
An apprentice at work had never sent an email.
An draftsman at work still uses pencil and paper instead of Autocad.

If nothing else it makes me feel better about using a stock standard Nokia phone that barely texts and calls rather than an infernal smart phone. I have spent enough of my life playing snake, I don't need angrybirds too.

But mainly it makes me wonder what life was like before the 80's. I don't ever remember life before computers, I had a mobile in high school and I've always had the internet to do assignments with. It boggles my mind to think how you contacted people before mobile phones and the internet.

What will my kids be like? Having seen a 3 year old more proficient with an iphone than I, it makes me think this is only the beginning. How could you get a management job if you didn't know the Microsoft Office Suite? How do you even apply for a job without an email address? How would you do a university degree without a computer?
The norm is evolving and it is evolve or become extinct, much to my dismay.

Do you know how these are related?

No comments:

Post a Comment