Wednesday, July 25, 2012

The dangers of multitasking

Do you multi-task?
I'm not talking about productive activity at work, I'm talking about the incessant need to do everything now. Do you text and drive? Do you check Facebook on the toilet? When was the last time you had a meal and just sat there pondering?
There is a phenomena called type A personality. This is easily identified as someone who never sits still and try's to concentrate on multiple things at once, all the time. As soon as something is accomplished the next thing is desired and time out is seen as a waste. They are the ultimate efficiency expert multi-tasker.

However there are dangers to multitasking and especially type A personality disorder. I'm not talking about running a cyclist over while trying to text and drive, I mean psychological.

This is Eleanor Abernathy aged 24.
She has a medical degree from Harvard and a Law degree from Yale. She wanted to do it all.
And this is Eleanor today.


As I write this I am sitting in a uni lecture with an assignment open in the background and work emails open on my phone. I have issues with multitasking. Thinking about Eleanor's fall from grace reminds me of a comment my supervisor once said to me. He found me in the gym cycling while reading a book on radical change management techniques and listening to MOS. I argued I was exercising, learning and relaxing at the same time. He argued that in ten years I would have a mental breakdown. 
Fair call, only problem is I don't like cats. 

No comments:

Post a Comment