Friday, September 9, 2011

Loving objects

Use things, not people. Love people, not things.

It's an old adage but when you don't have many possessions and everything around you is so foreign, it is easy to become irrationally attached to objects.

I was sitting on a chicken bus in Nicaragua when I realised I loved my engagement ring. I mean I am truly in love with it. I sat sparkling it in the sun, creating rainbows on the seat in front of me, reminiscent of discovering prisms in primary school. It made me smile.
The middle aged local who was jammed on the seat next to me looked at me strangely. He looked like the average Nicaraguan farmer. I smiled back.

I am aware that wearing thousands of dollars worth of diamonds in central America isn't the best idea. Not only because of the risk of theft, but because its bad taste. In a country where rebel groups roam the dense jungle and a substantial amount of the population lives below the poverty line, showing wealth seems both rude and stupid.

However, I was there and it was on my finger, so I usually wore it covered (poorly I might add) with electrical tape.

I was in love with the ring because it was something I had coveted for a long time. It represented love or specifically being loved. It was also absolutely beautiful.
I looked over at Ads. Yes, I loved him too, but the ring was shiny and new and so uncomplicated, perfect even.
Did I love this rock more than Adam? The realisation that my attachment had grown shocked me considerably. I spent too much of my day worrying about the ring, about what I would do if I was robbed. I checked it was still there constantly and refused to leave it unattended.

I decided to utilise the superhero conundrum.... I'll explain.
Hypothesise that on a cliff (you can use a bridge, building or volcano if you prefer...) to your right is Adam, dangling off the edge, barely holding on by his fingers. He needs your help or he will plunge to his death. On your left is the ring (the only one in existence,) precariously balancing, about to be lost forever. At the exact same moment they both fall. You can only save one, (unless you're a superhero in a movie. E.g. Spiderman, Batman, Superman, Neo...) WHICH DO YOU CHOOSE??!!!

Of course Adam is chosen 100/100 times. The love for an object can be great, but when compared on the same scale as a human, it is insignificant.

Interestingly I asked Adam the same question, replacing the ring with the only Ducati streetfighter in the world... He asked if I could pull myself up or grab onto the bike...





No comments:

Post a Comment