Friday, February 24, 2012

When in India... Never trust a nice man in a suit


He was nicely dressed, young and clean. He said he wasn’t from Delhi and just wanted to talk for a bit. Alarm bells rang but I could really do with a friendly talk. It was my first night in Delhi and overwhelming is an understatement. There really isn't anywhere on earth like India.
I declined tea, coffee, dinner, beer and wine so we stood on the streets talking. I made the rookie mistake of telling him I had just arrived and was alone, but between the jetlag and his persistent questions I couldn’t help but let a few slide. I really do have trouble lying to people. I asked him what the highlights of Delhi were and he told me to go to the lotus temple. 
“Where exactly is this? I haven’t managed to get a map yet.”
He ushered me to a nearby shop and he ran upstairs while I waited outside. Before long he had convinced me to come inside and meet his friend for just a second. I was apprehensive by this stage and only agreed as I could see the small loft from the street. My Western mind told me that being able to be seen by the public would stop crime, which is ludicrous in Delhi


Once upstairs I sat on a small bench and his friend pulled out a map and explained the highlights of Delhi and the special tour to see them all. He offered tea and when I declined (I had lived in England for 9 months, tea I do not like,) he offered me some bright yellow sweets from what looked like a chocolate box. They were made from marigold flowers and were delicious in a sweet, flowery way.
“You must do a tour tomorrow.” He started his plug.
“Not tomorrow, I’m very tired and tomorrow I just want to relax. Maybe Friday?”
“Everything closed from Friday till Tuesday.”
I looked at him blankly. Everything is closed across the entire city for 5 days. As if. “Really? Well that’s a shame, I was going to book this for Friday but if everything is closed then I won’t book at all.”
The original guy started on me, “No, you go tomorrow.”  He was sat next to me on the bench seat and moved closer towards me, squishing me against the wall and practically sitting on me. If there is one thing that gets me back up, it’s a lack of personal space.
“Why you no go tomorrow?” He demanded. He knew how to pressure foreign tourists but it only made me bristle. 

According to all my male friends I know how to intimidate men, something about being blunt, stubborn and intelligent. I looked him square in the eyes and said slowly and cooly,
“Because I don’t want too.” 
He smiled and looked down, obviously confronted, “Ok, Ok.”
I stood up and cheerily said, “Thanks for your time and the sweets. Do you mind if I keep the map?” His friend nodded blankly and I grabbed it. The younger guy still wasn’t moving and was blocking my way out of the cramped loft. I took a step forward, effectively kicking his legs as I did, even though he was still presses up against me. He got the hint and turned so I could squeeze past.
“Happy Diwali!” I shouted as I fled. 
Back on the crowded streets I made a bee line for my hotel.
 “How about an authentic Indian breakfast tomorrow?” He had followed me and continued his assault.
“No thanks, I just want to sleep in and relax tomorrow.” Like I’ve told you 5 times! “See you some other time!” He stopped at looked at me with disgust, something made me think he might slap me, here in the streets of Delhi where I know not a soul on this entire continent.. What could I do? What would I do? 


“You do not deserve this!” He barked and snatched the map from my hand before running into the crowd. 

I stood stunned that a) I had let myself be in that situation, b) that he had snatched it from me so violently and c) that once again I was all alone in a giant city a long way from my family.

Back at the hotel the firecrackers were keeping me awake. Every time I closed my eyes I pictured the hotel setting alight and me, oblivious to the sirens and screams with my earplugs in, burning to death. I wasn’t comfortable, I wasn’t happy. I was missing home, scared and all alone in a country where people would intimidate me to make a few bucks. I did what any reasonable person would do, I called my Mum. 

No comments:

Post a Comment